Many often assume that they must break their diet to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner. This isn’t always the case! Here’s a low carb turkey recipe that you can try for this holiday season.
- 10 lb turkey
- 1 lemon
- 1 head garlic
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 ounce of rosemary
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 cup melted butter, ghee, or olive oil
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Poultry Seasoning, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
1. Preheat your oven to 325 F.
2. Clean the turkey, and place on a roasting pan with a rack.
3. Squeeze half a lemon, and coat the turkey cavity with the juice. Season the cavity with salt and pepper. Place the squeezed lemon inside the cavity.
4. Cut the head of the garlic in half in order to expose it. Place inside the cavity as well
5. Dice celery, rosemary, and onion into large chunks and place inside the cavity
6. Lift the skin off the breast of the turkey while being careful to not tear the skin. Rub butter over the
breast. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning.
7. Repeat this process with any remaining butter on the outside of the turkey as well
8. You will need to tie the legs and then run the thread under the wings, secure them by tucking turkey wings in, and place in the oven. Bake for three to three and a half hours, or until the thickest part of the turkey thigh read 165 F when poked with a kitchen thermometer. (It takes around 15 to 20 minutes to cook every pound of unstuffed turkey)
9. Remove the turkey from the oven and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Cover it to let all the juices stay locked in.
Sorenson, K. (2012, November 7). LOW CARB THANKSGIVING: ROASTED TURKEY AND PAN GRAVY (GLUTEN FREE AND PALEO). Retrieved from Hollistically Engineered: https://holisticallyengineered.com/2012/11/low-carb-thanksgiving-roasted-turkey.html