Updated: Feb 12, 2020
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields 4-5 servings
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast (raw)
- 2 cup grated zucchini (leave the peel on and squeeze out some of the liquid with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel)
- 2–3 green onions, sliced
- 3–4 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¾ tsp cumin (optional)
- Optional (if pan-frying): avocado oil, for cooking (or coconut oil, or ghee)
1. In a large bowl, mix together chicken, zucchini, green onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin (if using). Mixture will be quite wet.
2. Scoop meatballs with a small scoop or heaped tablespoon and gently smooth with your hands. I can usually get around 20-24 poppers. You may be able to get more or less, depending on how large you size them.
3. To cook on the stovetop: Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Cook 4-5 at a time for about 5-6 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and the centers are cooked through.
4. To bake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle a bit of olive or avocado oil onto a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 400 degrees 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. If desired, place under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes or until browned on top.
5. Serve with guacamole, salsa, or your favorite dip.
Emily. (2014, March 31). Chicken Zucchini Poppers . Retrieved from One Lovely Life: https://www.onelovelylife.com/chicken-zucchini-poppers-gf-df/