Updated: Feb 4
Yields 4 Servings
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup dry white wine or water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 jalapeños, halved lengthwise, seeded
Broccoli and Dressing
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems, plus more for serving
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound broccoli (about 2 medium heads), stems peeled, heads halved lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into ½-inch rings
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. For the pickeled jalapenos - Bring vinegar, wine, sugar, and salt to a simmer over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Place jalapeños in a small bowl or jar and pour brine over. Let sit until cool, or at least 1 hour.
2. Prepare a grill with a medium heat
3. Purée one avocado half, garlic, tahini, lemon zest, 5 Tbsp. lemon juice, ⅓ cup cilantro, 4 Tbsp. oil, and 2 Tbsp. water in a blender, adding a splash of water if needed, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss broccoli and onion with 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally until broccoli crowns are dark brown in places and stems are crisp-tender, 5–7 minutes. Let cool slightly.
5. Coarsely chop broccoli and onion. Toss in a medium bowl with the remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper.
6. Spread tahini dressing on a serving platter and top with broccoli mixture.
7. Drain some of the pickled jalapeños (you will have extra).
8. Top broccoli mixture with remaining chopped half of avocado, sesame seeds, drained jalapeños, and more cilantro.
Grilled Broccoli with Avocado and Sesame. (2017, June). Retrieved from Bon Appetit: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-broccoli-with-avocado-and-sesame