Updated: Feb 4
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Yields 4 Servings
- 4 large cabbage leaves, quartered
- 1 lb. organic grass-fed ground beef
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. sesame oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
1. In a large pot, boil 4 cups water.
2. Using tongs, dip each cabbage leaf in water for 30 seconds and place on a paper towel-lined plate to dry.
3. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, panko bread crumbs, about half the green onions, egg, garlic, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
4. Scoop heaping tablespoons of mixture and roll into balls.
5. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil.
6. Add meatballs and sear until each side develops a crust, about 2 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 145°.
7. Remove meatballs from skillet, and add remaining teaspoon sesame oil.
8. Stir in ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
9. Add chicken broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer, then return meatballs to skillet and add carrots.
10. Cover with lid and cook until meatballs are cooked through and carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes more.
11. Garnish with remaining green onions and sesame seeds. Serve warm in cabbage leaves.
Miyashiro, L. (2018, August 15). Mongolian Meatball Cabbage Cups. Retrieved from Delish: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a22667244/mongolian-meatball-cabbage-cups-recipe/