Updated: Feb 4, 2020
Yields 4 Servings
(Bon Apetit, 2017)
- 1 large head of cauliflower (about 2½ pounds)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, divided
- 1 lemon
1. Preheat an oven to 450°.
2. Place 1 head of cauliflower on a cutting board and snap off green outer leaves.
3. Use a knife to shave off the end of the stem to create a flat surface on which the cauliflower can stand upright.
4. Starting from one end, cut the entire head of cauliflower into ½" slices, letting the pieces fall where they may. The pieces connected to the root will remain intact in planks.
5. Transfer cauliflower to a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 3 Tbsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss with your hands to make sure pieces are evenly coated
6. Arrange so they’re resting on a flat cut surface on the pan
7. Roast cauliflower on bottom rack until pieces are browned around the edges and undersides are deeply browned all over, 25–30 minutes.
8. While cauliflower is roasting, grate 1 oz. Parmesan on the large holes of a box grater. Set aside about half for garnishing.
9. Coarsely chop 1 Tbsp. capers, then toss all capers in a small bowl with the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil. Cut 1 lemon in half and squeeze in the juice.
10. When cauliflower is ready on the first side, remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on a work surface. Using a spatula, turn pieces over so browned sides are facing up. Sprinkle Parm NOT set aside for garnish over cauliflower.
11. Return sheet to oven and continue to roast until the second side of cauliflower is browned and Parm is toasty smelling and browned, 10–12 minutes.
12. Let cool a few minutes, then transfer cauliflower to a plate with spatula and drizzle lemon-caper dressing over. Season with a bit more salt and pepper, then top with reserved Parm.
Roasted Cauliflower with Capers and Parmesan. (2017, September). Retrieved from Bon Appetit : https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-with-capers-and-parmesan